Beverly Aho and Mark Weber
Update on the Eden Prairie Community Foundation
The Eden Prairie Community Foundation is celebrating its 35th year of enriching our community through philanthropy, collaboration and leadership. Throughout our history, our volunteer organization has worked to improve the quality of life in Eden Prairie and has awarded $1.6 Million in grants to more than 85 different organizations – literally touching the lives of everyone who lives or works in Eden Prairie. Join Mark Weber and Bev Aho as they share an update on this important community partner.
At the Above and Beyond Awards Dinner we recognize seniors who go "above and beyond" during their high school experience.... through overcoming adversity; being inspirational to others; displaying a great attitude toward life, school and others; improving their GPA, etc.
Conn McCartan, EPHS principal, tells the students' stories to honor them in front of their family members, their nominators, the School Board, top district administrators, and many Rotarians and community members.
This is one of our very special nights. Reception starts at 6:00 followed by dinner at 6:30 and program at 7:30.
Meal cost will be $25 for an Italian buffet dinner catered by Buca. Registration deadline is April 18. Community members who would like to attend can register directly and charge the fee or send a check. Please indicate in the comments section the name(s) of any particular student(s) you are coming to support.
This year the Rotary Club will be awarding college textbook scholarships to honorees. We invite high school staff, community members and Rotarians to make a donation using the secure PayPal button below toward those book scholarships in whatever amount they choose. To have the funds go to a particular honoree, please click on the "+Add special instructions to the seller" button and add that student's name.
Things happening this year:
- The Margaret Cargill foundation gave a second donation of a half million dollars over 3 years to provide a Native American Artist Residency Program.
- State Capital reopening – 10 million dollar renovation
- Pneumbra Theatre – 40th Anniversary of one of three African American companies in America.
- World War I America opens on April 8th . Cenntenial anniversary of entering the war.
- In December the 50th Anniversary of the 1968 exhibit
- National Historic Oliver Kelly farm will reopen on May 6th in Elk River
- Getting Fort Snelling ready for it’s tri-centinnial celebration in 2020.
- EPHS Career Speakers program
- EP Reads –Mar. 20th Racial Bias in MN Panel at City Ctr
- Board Meeting March21 st
- Meals on Wheels week of March 27th
- Maria Friedman – RYE Alum update. Leaves April 20th for a 16 week internship with 8 weeks in Columbia and 8 weeks in Argentina
- Ale Pena Gonzalez: Opportunities to connect
- District Assembly – April 8th at Crown College
- Park Clean Up – April 22nd at Flying Cloud
- District Conference – April 28th - early bird rates
- EP Gives – April 29th 6:30-11 at Oak Ridge Conf. Center
- Jane McGinty – New job with Donaldson Corporation.
- Dan O’Brien – Week of childcare for grandchildren. Several memorable events.
- Tax conformity, state/fed match-up, addressed
- $300 million to buy down premiums of individual plans under ACA that increased upwards of 60% or 30K
- Sunday liquor sales passed!
- $1.65 billion is the new forecast budget surplus
- Tax relief bill, vetoed last year by Dayton, may be larger this year
- Dayton proposal to tax wholesale gasoline likely to be controversial
Lester, who has been with the Vikings for 12 years, said the football organization’s goal for this next season is to be the first team in NFL history to be both the Super Bowl host and participant. He’s on the Minnesota Super Bowl Host Committee that is looking forward to the spotlight event on Feb. 4, 2018 but in fact is planning what will be a 10-day celebration.